Substance Misuse/ Abuse
- According to the 2015 Drug Use and Health Survey – 2.2million adolescents aged12-17 used illicit substances
- There were 300 million opioid prescriptions written in 2015
- Teens most often access prescription drugs in their own home/friend or relative’s home — where do you store your medications?
- More than 1000 people visit emergency rooms every day for treatment of prescription drug misuse or abuse
- Misuse and abuse of opioids costs health insurers up to $72.5 billion annually
- Private insurance claims for opioid dependence has gone up 3000% between 2007 and 2014